Monday, January 7, 2008

It's Not A Resolution

Let's get this straight, quitting smoking is NOT a New Year's Resolution. I hate resolutions. They suck. Well, maybe they don't suck, but I suck at them. I was planning on quitting on Christmas Eve, the day that the husby moved home, but with all of the partying going on then I did not want to become an instant failure. So I decided to wait until the holidays were over, which just happened to be on New Year's day. I did allow myself to finish my last pack, so I did not officially quit until January 2nd at 11am.

It has now been five days and it is time to review the past few days of not smoking.

I kinda feel like I might go crazy, but I know that these irrational thoughts and feelings will stop once the mental need for a cigarette subsides...should be any day now, right?

I feel a bit like I am going the cop-out route by using the patch, but I also feel like I may not be able to succeed otherwise. I mean, really, my MOST irrational thoughts [and actions] happen early in the morning before I remember to put the patch on, sooo I know my husby and kids would run away from home, screaming, heading for the hills, if I was not using the patch during the majority of the day.

I have been thinking about it, and I came up with some good reasons to not smoke:

  • I do not want smokers lips [you know, the wrinkly ones]
  • I do not want wrinkles in general
  • Eventually I will save money [not yet though, because the patch isn't free...or cheap]
  • Not only do I smell good, but my sense of smell is coming back.
  • My husband kisses me more. I love kissing :)

I have also been thinking about the things that might drive me to smoke, you know...triggers:

  • Drinking alcohol-good thing the next party isn't until the husby's birthday in mid-February
  • Eating too much spaghetti, well, you know, eating too much anything, really.
  • My kids fighting or not listening to me (stress)-I know...amazing I have already made it five days...
  • Boredom

If the world insists that I make some resolutions then here they are. I want to start looking more like I did ten years ago. Like this, but only I want to keep my good hair that I currently have...

Photobucket


Also, I want to use this more often around the house.

Photobucket

That is not too much to ask, is it?

3 comments:

Misguided Mommy said...

I'LL NEVER FORGET THE TIME MY EX QUIT SMOKING AND HE JONZED SO BAD HE THREW A DOOR AT THE WALL.

ANYWAY MY HUSBAND QUIT COLD TURKEY AND HE DID PRETTY GOOD. HE TRIED TO CHEW FOR ABOUT A WEEK BUT I GOT MAD SO HE JUST STOPPED ALL TOGETHER...NEEDLESS TO SAY WE ATE A LOT DURING THAT TIME

mommymommyland said...

Yeah you made iy over the hump!!! The 48 hours to rid the body of nicotine!!! It should get easier from here! ( this might help - the Timeline that is!!!)

Mrs. F said...

That time line was really encouraging, thanks mommymommy.