Saturday, January 12, 2008

What The??? No, Seriously...What The F^&k????

I went to retrieve my son from the neighbor’s house the other day and the little boys mother asked me if Cal was passing Kindergarten. Since she said it in such broken English I thought perhaps I misunderstood her. She then told me that her boy might not be moving on to 1st grade. I was flabbergasted. What I said was, “Yeah, I am pretty sure he is doing good enough to pass.” What I wanted to say was one of two things…

  1. What the fuck? Well, of course my kid is passing Kindergarten; he is a flipping genius.
  2. Are you seriously that lazy (I am not sure that is the right word, but will use it for lack of a better word) that you cannot take a few minutes each day to teach your child the basic skills yourself? Read with him, sing his ABC’s with him, even if it is in Spanish, I am sure his teacher would be happy enough with that.

Seriously though, what kind of Kindergartner, with normal learning capacities, gets held back from 1st grade??? I am dying to know what it takes.

In other news, I just found out this morning that one of my good friends has been cheated on by her husband of seven years (also her high school sweetheart). It makes my heart ache for her. They were the quintessential couple. I looked up to them, and I wanted to be able to love the way that they loved. I guess I did not perceive things correctly, and yes, I know that things are not always what they seem. I have no idea what to say to her. I would love to see the two of them make their marriage work, but on the other hand I know that she is worth so much more than what he has recently given her. It is not my place to just hand out unsolicited advice, but I do want to call her and let her know that I support whatever decision she makes, you know, to end the relationship, or to stay in it and work things out. I am not very good at handing out advice, but I do lend a good listening ear. What should I say? Any advice?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hi there! Thanks for stopping by the other day. I just have to say this story is so funny! It is mind boggling to think a child would be flunking kindergarten. My daughter came home today super excited that she has all her K sight words down and now gets to work on 1st grade words. Woo Hoo! And I haven't done a thing with her... no I totally credit Nick Jr for her smarts!

~Billie~ said...

How sad for your friend. Honestly, though, I think just being there to listen to her and offer your support is what she really needs right now. Just remind her how strong she is and that she'll get through it.