Saturday, February 16, 2008

A Tale Of Diarrhea Of The Mouth

Sometimes stuff just spews out of my mouth before I even get a chance to think about it. It is like diarrhea of the mouth.

Case in point: I went to a small get-together at a new friends’ house earlier today. I was introduced to everyone, including a guy that we will Chris. Actually, I think that might be his real name, so lets call him John. John was social, funny, and nice. We were all drinking liquor, and the hostess was no exception. I had recalled back to the other night when the hostess and I went to dinner with our mutual friend, who we will call Maria, which is really NOT her name…anyways, we were at dinner and Maria asked hostess if she and John were doing anything for V-Day. Hostess told Maria that “No” they were not doing anything, and the two of them should get together and have a pity-party for themselves on V-Day. Let me just tell you that I met hostess once or twice SEVEN years ago, and had not seen her again until we were at dinner with Maria.
Towards the end of the get-together, or actually this could be what ended the gathering, I asked hostess if John is her boyfriend. She turned away with a tear in her eye and told me he is not her boyfriend.

How in the hell was I supposed to know that he is her ex-husband who she still pines over???

Well, as we were parting ways Maria hung back to talk to hostess, asking if she wanted her to stay there with her, trying to clam her down. I walked up to Maria’s brother, fake-named-Sam, and told him that I feel like a giant jerk. He told me not to. On the drive home I received a phone call from Maria telling me that everything was OK, it was not my fault that it ended like that, as hostess was already upset before I even pooped that question out. Maria said it was a perfectly ok question, and hostess would not have gotten so upset, had she not had so much to drink, which truly did make me feel better.

I wonder if hostess still likes me. I wonder if I will ever be invited back to hostesses home (which was absolutely a lovely home by the way)…

1 comment:

~Billie~ said...

I so would have done the same thing! How were you to know? I'm surprised she became so upset over your comment, though. Of course, the drinking probably had a lot to do with it. I'm sure she understands.