Sunday, March 9, 2008

A Day To Myself

Yesterday my Mom came and picked up the kids at noon for a sleepover at her house. The hubs was getting ready for work and I expressed to him that I had nothing to do with out the kids. No parties, nothing. He looked around and got the craziest gleam in his eye.

He says: "There is plenty of stuff you can do around here"

I says: "Yeah, whatever, the house is clean."

He says: "You can mow the lawn, weed, work outside, something"

I says: "Uh, I don't think so...that is man work."

He says: "Weeding is not man work."

Me: "Whatev. We'll see. Don't count on that getting done."

He left for work and I left right after him to go get a sandwich from Subway. During lunch I was going back and forth...should I watch a movie in the theaters, or should I rip up all the old foliage and replant new beautiful foliage?

I went with the latter of the two and drove to Home Depot after I finished my sandwich. I bought some dirt and some gloves and headed home to start work on the garden. You should know that I have a red thumb (or whatever is the opposite of a green thumb). I am a plant killer, so it is hard for me to waste my time planting things when I know that they are just going to die anyways.

I spent 2 1/2 hours digging up the old foliage, and as is my usual I neglected to take a before picture, so you only get to see a "in the middle of my project" picture. See, I emptied everything out. Yay me.

after picking out the old stuff

When I was done I threw my shirt back on (yeah, no, I do not work topless you perv!) and hopped back in the truck and headed back to Home Depot.

I was debating whether to get all sago palms, but went against that idea because I decided they would look too stunted next to my house, since the house is two stories tall. I did buy one sago palm though, just to curb my need/craving for the cute little bugger.

My other option was Jasmine, but what kind should I get? Certainly I should not get star jasmine, since my last ones went all F-T-T (failure to thrive) on me and fell out of the ground. I opted for the pink jasmine. They smell pretty and they are already really tall. We should have no problems keeping them alive. I hope.

I wanted to fill the empty spots with ground flowers and I kinda knew exactly what I wanted, without knowing what I wanted at all. They are the same tiny flowers I always want when I see them...Allysum. They are so pretty and they are pleasing to my eye, so I picked up two cases of those, which was 24 six-packs, paid for them and took them home.

I knew by the time I got them home I was not going to want to plant them, so I kept the front door locked and forced myself to do it. I mean, Big Daddy aka the Hubs, was going to be so proud of me when he got home from work. It was going to be worth it.

One hundred and five holes in the ground and another 2 1/2 hours later and I was done. I stood back and enjoyed the fruits of my labor, watered the new foliage, took some pictures for your viewing enjoyment, went inside the house and practically passed out.

New and pretty

My body was super achy last night, and is mildly achy today.

Next time I am just going to go to the movies.

What would you do if you had the whole day away from your kids/spouse?




Look at all the allysum

2 comments:

minijonb said...

i don't know what i'd do, but it would not involve gardening! my blood is green (go Spartans!) but not my thumb.

awesome work. looks nice and colorful.

~Billie~ said...

WOW! That looks amazing!

If I had a day off, I would probably do the same.. except that currently our weather has been ideal. My mom calls it a black thumb... killing everything she touches.. LOL!