Friday, March 7, 2008

Hey Kid, You Gotts Ta Go.

I just returned home from the Targ with the kids. Whilst strolling the aisles Cal began quizzing me on my wealth of knowledge. Actually it was quite inane, but a passer-by mommy thought it was funny...

Cal: Mommy, how old do you have to be to get your own house and drive?

Me: Ugh, I dunno (I was shopping, my brain turns to jell-o in the Targ).

Cal: 84?

Me: Uh, no.

Cal: 80?

Me: Uh, no.

Cal: 21?

Me: Sure, that is much closer.

Random lady: Is he trying to guess your age?

Me: *giggle, giggle, snarf, snarf* No he wants to know when he can get his own house and drive.

Random lady: Oh, I tell my son 27. You figure he goes to college for four years (until he is 22), gets a good job and saves up for about five years, then he can get a house when he is 27 and get married when he is 30.

Me: Oh, yeah, um, ha ha, good plan (I swear I did not sound snotty at all, but she certainly got my courtesy laugh). ***fuh realll?***

Cal: Mommy, I am going to live with you until I am a hundred.

Me: Yippee. How about until you are 120?

Anyways, was this lady serious? I have no idea. Are these the expectations I should have for my children? I know everyone is different, but I am pretty sure that is unreasonable. Erm, 27? I am 29. There is no way I would have ever lived with my parents that long. You have to be joking me. Besides, Cal is going to get mass amounts of scholarships for Ivy League schools, so there is no way he is going to live with me and the hubs for that long, as all the ivy leagues are far away.

How long do you expect that your children are going to live with you?

How long will you allow them {your children, duh!} to live with you? I mean, you know, there comes a point when your adult child becomes the butt of all jokes for still living with you, you know.

2 comments:

~Billie~ said...

Dang! I moved out the weekend I turned 18. I love my parents and all, but they raised me to be independant. I think they would have went insane if I was still living there...

~Billie~ said...

Oh yeah... and bring on the Margaritas!!! (virgin, that is.. he. he. :P)