Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Dear Legs, Please Get Back To Work. kthxbye

I remember this feeling.

I remember it like it was last week, in fact.

There are lots of parts of my life that are completely lost in my memory bank, but this is not one of them.

Oh, the pain.

Back in high school I was on the swim team. Each season would begin with dry land training. We would work our asses off in a gym doing weight training and running. It was hard, hard work. I remember walking upstairs to get to one of my classes and running into one of my teammates. I was wincing the whole way up the stairs, and she was groaning the whole way down the stairs.

That is what I feel like now.

Somebody come chop off my legs, they are useless anyways.

Sunday I was working out to my Biggest Loser workout video and I modified one of the parts. You see, I can not jump with ease {mostly I look like a dumbass when I jump}, so instead of jumping I walked over to the step at the entrance of my house, stood on the edge with my toes and started bouncing up and down, flexing and hyper-flexing my calf muscles.

I might have overdone it just a bit.

The next day, Monday, I went out for a jog* and was having pretty severe muscle cramps in my left calf muscle. In my right calf I was getting shin splints. The pain was awful, but I would stretch it out, and then continue on. What I should have done was ice my legs when I got home. I didn’t.

I took Tuesday off from exercising, since my legs were so stiff that I could not properly exercise anyway, and I was looking forward to getting back into my routine today. My legs still hurt like hell, though.

I told the hubs earlier today that I feel like one of those fat people that are so fat that they can barely walk anymore. I am hobbling around and the worst is walking down the stairs.

It is so pitiful.

I hope my legs return to normal soon, don’t they know I am on a weight loss mission and have less than 4 weeks left to meet my first mini-goal?

Stupid dumb legs.

Anyone have any ideas?

Should I try for a simple home workout today?

Should I wait it out?



*When I say jogging, I use the term loosely. I just started last Wednesday and I took the advice of coolrunning.com and I revised it a bit. I am walking 30 seconds, jogging 30 seconds. Or was it 20? Anyways, it is a start, but no, I am not running a marathon anytime soon.

4 comments:

Aimee said...

Do you have a gym membership? try swimming? Or even the elliptical. Or get a pilates workout video. That can really get your heart going and stretches your muscles. It might also help with the injury and the weight loss. :) good luck!

Mrs. F said...

Thanks Aimee, maybe I should try Pilates. I have never tried it before, but have heard great things about it.

Rachel said...

Check out my blog-I have a gift for you!!

Elizabeth said...

If your looking to get a cardio workout in why not jump on a bike? You can still get your heart rate up and ease some of the pressure off of your calves. This could be a gentler option until you are ready to rock and roll with the jogging again. I'm thrilled that your doing this but don't hurt yourself! :)