Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Eleven Years Goes By Really Fast When You Are Having Fun

July 13, 1997 I got fired from my job as a deli clerk at a grocery store here in Sacramento. I had been up for a couple days on a drug bender and slept through my scheduled work day.

Who knew that employers frown upon that kind of thing?

My Mom sent me to live with my Grama in the house behind my Aunt and Uncle's house in a small suburb of San Diego, called Santee. The first few days that I was there I spent 'coming down' off the drugs. Then I got bored and decided to go explore the city of San Diego. It was then that I learned that Santee was not-so-lovingly referred to as Klantee. I am so uncool with racism, bigotry, discrimination, and judgmentalism that I knew I had to get out of there.

I took a bus back to Sacramento, thinking that all would be good with my Mom.

She sent me on the next bus back to Klantee.

Shortly after, I got a call from my old drug dealer, saying that he, and a couple of my other buddies were IN San Diego.

I borrowed my Grama's car and drove out to where they were (drug dealer's girl friend's new apartment) and we hung out, ended up going out to Tijuana and stuff.

That was in August 1997.

A couple of months went by and Amy (drug dealers girlfriend) called me to see if I wanted to hang out.

I was bored stiff and had just got fired from Wal-Mart (for shit that I did not do), so I was super excited for the invite.

November 11, 1997 we ended up hanging out for a couple of days-straight through, learning about each other, and bonding. Telling stories. Stuff like that.

Had it not been for that one phone call 11 years ago, I have no idea where I would be (probably all strung out on Meth, living in a ditch somewhere, I reckon!)!

I moved in with Amy and her roommate, Kelley, just after Thanksgiving.

Amy is my best friend. She supports me in all that I do, encourages me to be a better woman, makes me laugh, and is a shoulder to cry on. We vacation together. Our children are best friends, and our husbands are BFF's, too.

Amy has since dumped the drug dealing boyfriend and has been married for over six years, with [almost] three year old twins.

Also? We don't do drugs, either, so rest easy.

Anyway, I sent Amy a text this morning that read: It is 11:11 on 11/11. Happy 11th BFF anniversary to the best BFF a girl could ask for. Why the hell are we not in Vegas? All those 11s!

It is true. Amy IS the best BFF a girl could ask for, even if I can not put in to such eloquent words exactly what she means to me. {A lot, trust me!}

Here are some photos to entertain you.

The first day of a fabulous friendship 11-11-1997

We are like models, yo! 1998

Modeling the Acura :) 1998

A more recent shot.


I need to get off the computer now, I have to feed the family dinner and take a shower, I have a date tonight, and it is not with my husband!

12 comments:

Cristina Mathers said...

i love the honesty in this post. it's something that many of us have been thru but not a lot of people talk about. so glad a forever friend came out of it!

Grandy said...

Happy anniversary to you and your BFF!! Our pasts are part of who we are and how we got here. Thanks for sharing a glimpse of yours honey!!

Steph said...

That is so awesome. It is so great to have a friend like that and thank goodness she came when she did and helped change your life around. I can relate because I think my life would have gone a different direction had it not been for my best friend Kara.

Misguided Mommy said...

OMG THAT HAIR HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Mrs. F said...

Christina~ Thank you, and ME TOO!

Grandy~ Thank you, and you are welcome (for sharing)

Steph~ I am glad you have a best friend to relate to, too!

Misguided Mommy~ SHUT UP! :)

Sarcastic Mom said...

Aw, that's really beautiful. Must be great to have such an awesome, long-time friend!

The Fishers said...

That hair is so awesome. Amy looks so familiar. did she go to high school with us? She must have. I'm glad you have a great BFF to go through things with.

~Billie~ said...

What a great post! I love seeing the changes over the years. The hair is too funny!

Mrs. F said...

Sarcastic Mom~ Believe me, I know that i am very blessed. I wish all women had BFF's to confide in. (And do all the other stuff, too.) I think the world would be a better place!

Lisa~ She went to Einstein with us, then she went to West for a couple years, then she transferred to Folsom. She was a product of Rosemont, too, so yes, you may very well know of her!
Also? Weird that we both moved down south at the same time, yet we grew up around the corner from each other!

~Billie~We thought we were hot shit. Amy works at an uppity salon and we were having drinks with girls from her work last night. I brought these photos with me. The hair stole the show!

Mrs. F said...

Lisa (again)~ She was class of 95. Also, our roommate Kelley you would definitely know. She was a cheerleader with you. Her last name was Napoles. (I keep typing mean things, then deleting them. I do not know her anymore...so I will not talk bad about her on here...) They moved down to San Diego when Noreen Andrews decided to go to SDSU.

Rachel said...

I love those pictures. They are such a blast from the past. You go hottie momma with that bad ass hair back in the day!

The Fishers said...

Okay. I loved Kelly and Noreen. It's all coming together now. That's so funny and random that you all ended up moving in together. Oh, the stories I could tell...