Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hi. My name is Debbie. Debbie Downer.

Forgive me for not really having much going on lately.

I have been simultaneously trying to find a job and a house.

Both ventures are major suckage. Seriously.

We found a house that we liked in a decent neighborhood, fair rental price, willing to accept us with our current situation, within walking distance to the kids school. We applied for it and got rejected. The reason? The landlord is looking for someone with higher income. Uh, excuse me. When did making four and a half times the amount of rent ever warrant not being a high enough income??? They came to this conclusion without even pulling up our credit report, too.

So, that is discouraging.

Looking for a job...also discouraging.

I have replied to nearly every posting that I have found online for a restaurant server. I find it frustrating that I have not even had one single response. Not one.

I have been spending Monday and Tuesday afternoons scouting out at all the local restaurants, getting all dressed up and in full make up with my hair done, asking 18 year old children for applications. There is nothing like having an 18 year old act like she is better than you when she talks down to you. I like to call the empty-handed walk out of the restaurant the "Walk of shame". I go in there, put on my pretty smile, ask for an application, and promptly get dissed by a child, "Sorry, we are not hiring right now, so we are not even handing out applications."

It is all quite humbling, because let me tell you, I had dreams of grandeur. I was going to walk in to a restaurant, ask for an application, fill it out on the spot, and the manager was going to love my sparkling personality sooo much that they insisted on hiring me to start work that very day.
So to be put in my place instead of letting me reside on cloud nine, well, that is awfully nice of the people who send me scurrying away with my tail between my legs, eh.

In other news, my head may explode from this sinusy thing I have going on right now. I have no idea what is wrong with me, but yesterday we were in the car and I sneezed, then coughed, or something like that, I don't really remember, but Cal asked me if I was OK, and all of the sudden my head started to feel like it was going to freaking EXPLODE! I am pretty sure it was a sinus headache from hell, but for all I know it could be something more, like a sinus infection or something stupid like that. My nose actually hurts, so that sucks.

Tell me you have something better, happier, healthier, and more wonderful going on. You do, don't you?

P.S. I have over 100 unread blogs to catch up on, I will get there, and I apologize for not stopping by and commenting, but the hubs worked early shifts all last week (meaning he was home A LOT!), then he had Saturday through Tuesday off work and I had very little time to do what I normally do, which is sit in front of this computer and read blogs for longs periods of time throughout the day.

15 comments:

Vic said...

I hope you're feeling better soon and the job/house hunt starts looking up.

MarvelousMOM said...

That makes no sense that you didn't get the house. I would be discouraged as well. I am so sorry. Jobs are slim pickin's right now and it is scary. I am sorry and I hope that you find something soon.

Mrs. F said...

Vic~ Thank you. Me, too!

MarvelousMOM~ No sense at all, right? Thank you. I hope I find something soon, too!

JR's Thumbprints said...

With a downward economy, you could always look for a corrections job. We seem to be locking up quite a few people.

Elizabeth said...

How's that head... still attached properly?
I hope you land work soon--doing something ridiculously easy for a ton of money. :)

Mrs. F said...

Jrs Thumbprints~ No, thank you. One CO in this house is enough. I am much too cheerful to work in such a dreary environment anyways. Thanks for stopping by.

Elizabeth~ Yes, thankfully my head IS still attached. It was touch and go there for a while. LOL.
Still looking for that job that will spoil me rotten! Thanks.
Glad to see you are still alive!

Bray Family said...

You know Mrs. F.... Mom and I were talking today and we were thinking... You should try free lance writing for a paper or something. I'm not sure what something like that pays, but you're so good at writing your feelings that we can feel what you're writing. You have that awesome humor that glows in every sentence. Just a thought... You never know, you could be like the next Ann Landers or something... End of syndicated someday.. :-) Love you! -the Brays

~Billie~ said...

Is your head feeling better? That sucks!
I didn't know they could deny you an application! I thought most places kept applications on file for like 3 months or something... that is so stupid!
Good luck with the job search and house hunt. Again, totally ridiculous denying you like that. ((HUGS)) Something better will come along!

Julie said...

Here in new England you could sue that landlord... Just sayin'

I hope it all turns around for you. I've got good feelings.

;)

Cristina Mathers said...

catching up on my blogs here, and so sorry to hear what you are going thru. times suck right now, especially in Cali where everything is super expensive to buy/rent. you are one tough cookie not to smack snotty 18 year old in the head. i would have. hang in there.

followthatdog said...

I'm sorry. I'd be frustrated and angry too. The landlord is an asshole. It should be this hard, should it.

Mrs. F said...

Brays~ Thank you, that is so sweet. Really. I thought about taking some creative writing classes, but am having to take the semester off from school to work out our new budget with a new job (for me).

Billie~ Thank you. I am still hoping that something better will come along...soon!

Julie~ Thanks for stopping by. I could not find your profile to return the favor...Unfortunately I do not have the money to sue anyone, so I am just going to have to remain MAD!

Christina~ Thank you! Job hunting does suck. I met a guy the other day who said he turns in AT LEAST 30 applications a day and has been homeless for over 3 months because he can not find work.

Followthatdog~ Yeah, it sucks bad. It shouldn't be this hard. I really thought it was going to be easy breezy. Wow, was I wrong!

Rachel said...

Sounds like a lot on your plate. UGh. I hope things get better with the job search. At least you live in warm weather-see that is s positive. Yeah right, kill me now for saying that.

~Billie~ said...

Hey sweetie! I was thinking about you.... how's the job/home search going? Having any luck?

Grandy said...

Oh man. That landlord is a putz!! On the job hunt front? Any catering biz hiring? I want to help somehow. Shoot me your resume...let me "check it out" for buzz words. ;)