Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Are You An Extrovert Like Me (A.K.A. Dork in Public)?

Generally speaking, there are a couple types of people in this world: The extrovert and the introvert.

OK, there are obviously more types of people in this world, but I am trying to make a point here, so stick with me.

The ones that say hello would be the extrovert, and the ones that hide for cover in a corner, not wanting to be seen, well, those would be the introverted types.

Then there are, of course, the people who fall somewhere in the middle.

I kinda think I am an extrovert. Usually. Sometimes, however, I do find myself hiding in the corner of Target, not wanting to be seen by an old friend. Note to self: Stop leaving the house without brushing your hair. It almost always guarantees that you will see someone you know.

I work in the restaurant business and I have been at this particular restaurant for nearly 2 months. In this short amount of time I have seen 3 people that I know, all whom I have not seen for over a year, and in one instance, I had never really met the person. Each time I felt conflicted in whether or not to say hello to them. In the end, what it boils down to, is that I AM the type of person that is going to say hello to someone that I know.

The first time I served someone that I know, it was a woman that I had not seen in about 10 years, a woman that I went to church with when I was in my youth. I spent an hour working her table, knowing full well that it was her from the moment she walked in the restaurant. I did not say anything at the beginning, but when their bill came, she took a peep at it and realized who I was (my name prints up on the bill) and we had a nice conversation.

The second time it was a friend of a friend, and I barely recognized her, because she came in with a hat on. She took her hat off and I went over right away to say hello.

The third time I saw someone I know was yesterday. The only thing is, though, that I only know her from reading her blog for the past year and a half. I thought that it was her, then as I kept walking by I kept thinking more and more that it was her, and finally I told myself, "Self: She recently got engaged, go check out if she has an engagement ring on her finger."
So I did.
And she did.
So I say, "Is your name Aimee?" (I had to use a lot of restraint to not add the Enchilada to the end)
"Yeah."
Me, in my most creepiest whispery voice, "I read your blogggg."
Anyways, I tried to play it cool and like I wasn't TOTALLY excited to meet her.
FAIL
.
I mean, at least I think it is a fail, when I kept saying over and over, "I am so excited to finally meet you!"
I am pretty sure that I came off as an over-excitable puppy dog, but guess what? I hardly care. I am so happy I said something to her, because this morning she emailed me and I am pretty sure we are going to get together for coffee. Yay. New real life friend.

Which type of person are you? If you saw me in public would you stop and say Hi? Or would you keep on walking (covering your face with your hand), hoping that I don't recognize you?


Edited to add: I have a big comment milestone coming up real soon. The commenter that leaves comment number 1000 will get a prize, just for fun!

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh lucky lady. I bet Aimee is a hoot. I'll meet her someday when I head out west. I just know it. Hey, and at least you didn't have to leave home to meet one. I flew to Vegas to meet 5 of my blog buddies and now I don't know how I ever did without them. We have a place online where we chat and keep up.

Aimee said...

I love it! But you forgot the part where I said that your name isn't "normal" and that you're too young to have kids! lol I'm so glad you said something, because, as I said, I was having one retarded moment after another. haha.
Yeah for friends! and coffee!

Vic said...

I probably would've stood there going I'm sure I know that person, yet never really making the connection.

~Billie~ said...

I would totally say Hi if I saw you!! =)
I agree with the whole "if you don't brush your hair your bound to run into someone you know" thing. It happens every. single. time.

Mrs. F said...

Carrie~ Good point, I didn't have to leave home to meet a fellow blogger, however, I would LOVE to go to BlogHer. I almost went last year when it was in San Francisco, but didn't...*sigh*

Aimee~ Haha. It was funny. And YAY. I am too young to have kids. w00t! Only on the inside...

Vic~ Yeah, it took me a couple minutes to be really sure...

Billie~ (About the hair) I know, right?!
That would be fun if I met you. Remember when we were almost in Tahoe the same weekend? Stranger things have happened...

The JNJ Hasleton's said...

Isn't it funny how we have relationships with people through our blogs but not in "real" life.
I'd say hello to you. I never brush my hair, so when you see me, you won't feel the need to hide because I'm sure I'll look the worst of the two of us.

Mrs. F said...

JNJHasleton~ Haha. Cooooool!

I do feel like I know all my bloggy friends, so when I saw Aimee, it was like, "Hey, I KNOW you!"