Wednesday, May 6, 2009

We Went to Tahoe and All I Got Is These Handmade Drawings

Monday was a minimum day for the kids at school, and despite the weather predictions in Tahoe we decided to take a trip out there for the afternoon. The weather called for rain and wind. What we experienced was wind, not really much rain (until the sun started to go down). Oh, but there was snow on the ground...

So we drive out to the place that we were looking at to go camping at the end of the month, a place called DL Bliss State Park. We knew that the place was going to be closed, so we brought our bikes, so that we could bike down to the campgrounds to check it out.

[[[REMINDER: Riss just learned how to ride her bike last week!!!]]]

We get on our bikes and sneak around the gate. From the top of the hill it is hard to tell how far down the campground is, and it does not look like an extremely steep hill either.

So we start off biking and I instruct Riss to stay in the middle of the road, because while it was not visibly steep yet, it was downhill.



We start off and everything is seemingly fine. Here is the part that is a little fuzzy to me. I start flying down the hill at probably 40 MPH, and Hubs stays with the girl while Cal and I go ahead. At some point Riss gets off her bike and starts walking it. She is crying and frustrated, and basically hates the whole concept of biking by the time they catch up to us, about 10 minutes later...

We start to check out the campgrounds and I tell hubs he has to go down the road more to find the specific campsite he was looking for.

Riss is so hysterical at this point that I ask him for the keys to the Tahoe {It was at this exact moment that I realized my camera battery was dead, and that is why you get no pictures} and Riss and I head back up the hill. Walking our bikes, mind you.

Riss cries, almost continuously, the whole way up the hill back to the parking lot, only stopping a couple times to make fun of me for singing funky songs. She finally stopped crying when we had a visual of the gate, as that is when we knew that we were close to the truck. If there was anything to cry about, she pretty much covered it. Her legs hurt. She hates bike riding. She hates the camping place. She was cold. She was hot. My singing was awful. She was thirsty. She was hungry. I mean, really. I heard it all.

So we get up to the truck and we hung out in the warmth for about 30 minutes, then I decided that we should go look for the guys, because, deep on the inside, I am freaking out. Hubs had left his phone behind, and they should not have been that far behind us.

We start off, walking this time, down the road. We get about 1/4 of a mile down the hill when I see an animal on all fours. It took me a second to register exactly what it was in my brain, but as soon as I did realize that is was A BEAR we promptly turned around and high tailed it out of there. Even though I did not tell Miss Riss that I saw a bear, she sensed my fear and she started freaking out even MORE, as if that were possible.






We got back up to the gate and that is when I realized that it was unlocked. The two of us got in the Tahoe and pulled up to the gate. I got out to open the gate and these two girls were getting in to their car to leave, but they stopped me and asked if I was looking for the Dad and the little boy. I told them that yes, I was, and that is when they told me that they had seen them, and they were on their way back up the hill, but were pretty far back there. I thanked them, and as we stood there talking (I was telling them that I freaked out when I saw the bear, and they were like "WHAT BEAR???) within 30 seconds my men were in my sights.

We stood there talking to the nice girls for a little while longer, while the hubs was putting the bikes back on the rack, then we headed to town to get some pizza.

It was a good family day, but mostly, a horrible time. But fun. And horrible. And a little scary. Nice. Horrible. Scary. Nice.

The moral of this story is:
  • I am a paranoid freak (I thought one of my men had possible fallen off his bike and gotten seriously injured)
  • Bears are scary as hell
  • Don't take your 5 year old who has just learned how to ride a bike down to Tahoe to conquer a mountain. It does not make for a happy time for ANYONE!

3 comments:

Julie said...

These are all serious lessons!!

What I love best are your drawings.
Your bear looks like a rabbit.
hahaha

~Billie~ said...

HaHa! Love the drawings!
A bear?!? Holy crap! We are camping in Tahoe in August - I can do without seeing a bear, outside of the zoo.
Poor girl. We took the boys hiking recently and realized what a bad idea that was too.

Meghan Smith (Fowler) said...

We have camped there 2 times before.. The 2nd time we had bears come visit our campsite during the day while we are sitting around doing nothing!! Good Luck and hope you guys have a good time!!

I don't like bears also!!